Thursday, September 16, 2010

Watermelon Jam

Over Labor Day weekend, I took my first foray into the world of jam making by helping my mother in law can and jam the abundance of peaches from her peach tree.

I had so much fun! And it was much simpler than I expected. So when I came across this gorgeous picture... (Check out that color!) I started thinking I need to give Watermelon Jam a try!























Watermelon Jelly

makes about 7 eight ounce jars

6 cups pureed watermelon (remove any seeds prior to pureeing)
4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup bottled or fresh lemon juice
1 packet powdered pectin

Combine watermelon puree, sugar and lemon juice in a large, non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil and let it boil vigorously until the temperature of mixture reaches 220 degrees. Add the powdered pectin and boil for another five minutes.

Remove from the heat and pour into clean, sterilized jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment